Tiefling Names: Creating a tiefling character for your next Dungeons & Dragons adventure? Their mystical, contradictory infernal heritage makes choosing the right tiefling name an artform. This complete guide breaks down different styles of tiefling names—from virtuous to sinister and everything between—to capture the mystical personality of your creation. Along the way, uncover deeper facets of tiefling history, abilities, different subraces, and more to spark name ideas or enhance your roleplaying. Let’s delve into the fiery magic of tiefling nomenclature!
Introduction to Tiefling Naming Conventions
Tiefling names can come from many influences, reflecting their contradictory demonic and mortal ancestries. Typically they fall into two main categories:
Infernal Names – These tiefling names use the Infernal language passed down from ancient pacts with devils and demons. They often sound sinister, mystical, and a bit dangerous.
Virtue Names – Other tieflings go the opposite route, choosing names representing positive traits, emotions, or aspirations. These hopeful names reflect desires to overcome their dark heritage.
But between these extremes lie numerous shades of tiefling nomenclature. Their names could represent figures from folk tales, fictional heroes, mystical creatures, or forgotten languages from tiefling history. It all depends on the backstory, personality, and appearance you envision for your D&D tiefling. This guide will uncover different name types and tiefling attributes to consider when picking the perfect fit.
Infernal Tiefling Names
Infernal names embrace the sinister legacy of a tiefling’s lower planar ancestors. These 30 male and female names conjure up images of the mysterious and magical gifts inherited from deals with devils long ago.
- Kairakas – “Dark bridegroom” in Abyssal, a charismatic leader or bringer of forbidden magical knowledge
- Guerakas – Evokes “rage” and “fire” – a ferocious warrior tiefling
- Thythos – Hisses like a serpent – perhaps a warlock or conjuror of fell entities
- Zorxes – Brings to mind “xeric,” drought – wields powers of fire against foes
- Kilcis – Derived from “calx,” lime or chalk in Latin – hides acidic surprises under innocent appearance
- Nagrea – Evokes images of nagas and other cunning, mystical creatures
- Grifaris – Contains “griffin,” winged guardians, and “fierce” – a proud protector
- Mithhiri – Musical and strong like steel – could be a bard, monk, or warrior
- Yaza – From “yahzah,” to rage or storm in Abyssal – quick to anger with destructive powers
- Vallyvia – Beautiful but poisonous, from Latin “valleo” meaning strong and “viverra” for ferret
Virtue Tiefling Names
Unlike their Infernal naming kin, Virtue tieflings take auspicious names representing ideals, dreams, or positive traits they aspire to display to overcome the dark legacy in their bloodline.
- Glorious – Seeking renown and esteem through valorous deeds
- Melody – Hoping music and artistry can bring joy and banish hatreds
- Sanctuary – Providing safe harbor for outcasts like themselves
- Verity – Speaking plainly and honestly, concealing nothing
- Zest – Approaching life with passionate enthusiasm despite hardships
Here are 25 additional virtue names reflecting valor, truth, hope, empathy, zeal, and other uplifting qualities.
Both Infernal and Virtue styles illuminate profound contradictions in tiefling nature and origins through names alone. But exploring deeper history and traits can unlock more naming insights.
Tiefling Name Generator
Whether you’re crafting a new persona for your next campaign or seeking inspiration for fictional characters, let this tool be your guide. With a simple click of the “Generate” button, unlock a trove of devilishly delightful names to ignite your imagination.
Tiefling Name Generator
Tiefling History and Bloodline
Current tieflings trace their bloodline back to an ancient empire called Bael Turath where aristocrats forged pacts with dark powers, gaining magic but losing humanity. As power corrupted, physical changes emerged too – skin red as blood, horns, eyes with no pupils, and more fiendish features.
When Bael Turath fell battling Dragonborn rivals, the tieflings scattered. But their infernal heritage persisted, passed down to generations even those lacking fiendish traits. Whether descendants of evil nobles or blameless citizens later tainted, all tieflings harbor contradictions – feared and mistrusted but struggling to find redemption.
This rich history is reflected symbolically in their names. Consider surnames denoting clan ancestry like Duskmeadow (from a family estate) or Shadowheart. Alternatively, mystery names like Darkwand or Gothwing hint at rumors and stigma for ones who discover fiendish magic awakening within them.
Tiefling Appearance and Personality
While individual appearances differ, some physical traits often mark tiefling bloodlines:
- Horns growing from their foreheads
- Skin red as blood, ranging from faint crimson to ruddy black
- Eyes with no visible pupils and solid colors – black, silver, gold
- Prehensile tails up to 5 feet long
Beyond physical qualities, tieflings wrestle internally with their identities. Some embrace selfishness and corruption as a defense, growing bitter social outcasts or defiant free spirits enforcing their own moral code over society’s. Others devotedly champion good, seeking to redeem their people. But most walk a shifting gray path in between.
Consider naming tieflings something representing an appearance quality (Redquill, Raveneye), personality nuance (Wildheart, Grinmalice), or typed by subrace explained next.
Tiefling Abilities and Subraces
All tieflings share certain racial abilities reflecting their otherworldly origins:
- Darkvision for penetrating darkness
- Resistance to fire damage
- Access to a few innate magical spells
Plus they all know Common and Infernal languages – some master Abyssal as well.
But subraces with different fiendish heritages introduced variant traits. Here are a few examples:
Zariel – Named after a fallen angel, these tieflings are stronger warriors with radiant resistance instead of fire and know a smite spell.
Glasya – Subtle spellcasters named after a devil princess, they have wings and know disguise self magic. Excellent sneaks and spies.
Mammon – Silver-tongued descendants of the Archdevil Mammon have the spell friends to charm humanoids and also master illusion magic.
Consider naming subrace tieflings something reflecting their legacy or special traits. Or give them bynames – e.g. aDispater tiefling’s tricks might earn them the nickname “Shadewalker” among friends.
Choosing Your Tiefling Name
With so much richness to tap into, here are some suggestions for picking or inventing the perfect tiefling name:
- Reflect Personality – Harsh, kind, haunted, blithe – what feelings do you want their name to evoke?
- Show Lineage – Talonblood, Firesoul, Wingclang – describe their appearance, abilities or ancestry
- Capture Contradictions – Bittergrace, Brightwoe, Sadlaughter – the layered dichotomies tieflings embody
- Use Alliteration – Crispycinder, Voraciousviolet – infernal energies crackling across consonants
- Rhyme Scheme – Malifish, Rararose, Queenthorn – lyrical and mystical
- Describe Deeds – Foemanbleed, Skullreaper – their daring exploits and battle prowess
- Coin Hybrids – Blend translated Abyssal/Infernal roots with Common words conveying juxtaposed ideas – e.g. Lovebane, Dreamserpent
Enjoy exploring different naming approaches for your tiefling until you discover “the one” – whether destined from birth or a self-chosen mantle reflecting who they become. With endless combinations possible drawing on their rich mystical lore, the perfect moniker awaits!
Naming a tiefling character offers boundless creative possibilities when you understand the nuances of their storied infernal bloodline. Between the sinister mystique of ancient pacts and hope of overcoming past evils, names can celebrate their mystical legacy or flip preconceptions upside down. Whether you want an ancestral clan name, virtue name, descriptive byname, or creative hybrid, use this guide to unlock deeper naming inspirations rooted in tiefling contradictions. Best of luck capturing that perfect essence in your D&D tiefling’s moniker!